Word, 2008ers.

It's a wierd feeling putting a new number on the end of my two thousands.

When I was a small fry, 2000 was the Future. It was flying robot cars and talking computers. During get-out, I would dash my hardest in anticipation of the day I would, for reals, be outrunning the Antichrist and his henchmen. It was life on mars and all the excitement of the UNDISCOVERED.

Well I'll tell you what, small fry from 1990:
Laptops are the bomb.
Stamp collecting will not make you millions.
Davey had a crush on you (which is why he was so mean).
All the ceaseless memorizing does come in handy.
You'll grow to like salmon..zucchini too (especially with soy sauce).
Love is an exhilarating 20 second ride, the rest is pushing the sled back up the hill.
Bet on the Sox in the World Series 2007.
Time is relative.
Weed will make you fall asleep.
Watch Amelie.
Laugh at everything but don't feel like you have to.
Spend more time with your family because they won't be around as much as you assume they will.
Learn sign language.
For godsakes wear a bra to bed.

and most importantly, say yes.

I haven't made a New Years' Resolution for the simple fact that I'd jinx myself (50% failure in the first week and all) but Alanis said it tolerably well:

That I would be good even if I did nothing
That I would be good even if I got the thumbs down
That I would be good if I got and stayed sick
That I would be good even if I gained ten pounds

That I would be fine even even if I went bankrupt
That I would be good if I lost my hair and my youth
That I would be great if I was no longer queen
That I would be grand if I was not all knowing

That I would be loved even when I numb myself
That I would be good even when I am overwhelmed
That I would be loved even when I was fuming
That I would be good even if I was clingy

That I would be good even if I lost sanity

That I would be good


Whether with
or \
without\
you.


Comments

crazynik said…
That song has always been a particularly special favorite of mine
Happy New Year you beautiful vixen you. Don't be a stranger this next year.
You know I love you
Anonymous said…
Raises glass and a thumbs up ... well said!

Popular Posts