Je t'aime Maman

I've been hearing rumors swirling for the past couple days that one of these preceding or following days is "Mother's Day".

My mommy. It's hard to start with that. Too simple. Too complex.

My mommy can do anything. She's the most talented woman I know, and when I say talented -- I'm thoroughly understating her. She always makes me feel just a bit intimidated. The list would go on and on but the really awesome thing about her, in my opinion, is that with all these amazing skills she could've pursued her dreams (and I know she had many) of fame and grandeur. But instead, she decided to have us.
Thirteen of us to be exact.

She could've been a concert violinist, but she chose to sing us lullabies to sleep.
She could've been a brilliant painter, but she chose to draw us amusing bible stories on the whiteboard.
She could've been a top designer for a giant car company, but she chose to teach us how to make the Best Pumpkin Pie Ever.
She could've been anything but she chose to be our mommy -- the very darn best one at that -- and I couldn't love her more.

We went through our tough spots, when we wouldn't even speak to each other(my fault), when I told her I didn't need her. I don't see how mom's put up with that, especially me, harder than most.
And over the years I've come to realize what an unbelievably strong woman my crazy, funny mother was. Man, everything she's gone through and continues to go through with the bravest of faces.
I took her easy laughter for granted so often when I think what she'd like to have done most is cry. Of all the talents she could pass on to me, it's that one that I'd like the most. The ability to smile through the heartbreak.

It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight on your face.
You were content to let me shine, that's your way.
You always walked a step behind.

So I was the one with all the glory,
while you were the one with all the strength.
A beautiful face without a name for so long.
A beautiful smile to hide the pain.

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
but I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it.
I would be nothing without you.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?
You're everything I wish I could be.
I could fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

--Bette Midler


So all that to say, I love you my beautiful Mama. Big as the world. Big as the universe. Big as anything.

Comments

crazynik said…
Sigh...I love that song
And I remember your mom...she was one of my favorite teachers
Anonymous said…
Well put Liz! Well put!
mig.moon said…
Your mommy sounds like an awesome individual! I love my mommy too...

Popular Posts